Arriving in the Heidekreis

Important to know

You arrived in Europe by car, plane or train from another country and now? You thought everything had been considered. Everything looked easy and now… you have questions you did not have before. No problem.

We want you to feel at home in the Heidekreis as soon as possible. Use our service point in Soltau. Our office is located in Soltau on the grounds of the Alte Reithalle in Winsener Straße 34g.  You are most welcome!

Good to know

As an EU citizen, you do not need a visa when you enter Germany.

If you are entering Germany from an EU country, you can bring your private belongings with you without any customs formalities. Please note, however, that there are special areas within the EU to which the simplified regulations for travel between EU states do not apply, as these do not belong to the customs territory of the EU.

If you come from an EU Member State, you do not need a residence permit. You can take up employment and do not need an EU work permit to do so. You can prove your right of residence with your passport and registration certificate.

Apartment and registration

The decision to work or learn in Germany brings a lot of new things with it. Perhaps you will rent a holiday apartment, a furnished room or a hotel room in the first few weeks. In time you can then search for a suitable dwelling or real estate. Please feel free to contact our service point from home.

Once you have found the right apartment, you must sign a lease before moving in. In Germany it must be completed in writing. The rental agreement usually specifies the cold rent per month. In addition, there are costs such as gas, electricity and water. We are happy to support you!

Any new residence in the Heidekreis must be registered personally at the Bürgerbüro within two weeks. There are citizen’s offices in every major town. Please bring your identity card or passport as well as the confirmation of your accommodation provider with you to the Bürgerbüro. You will then receive a confirmation of registration showing since when you have been living in Germany. We are happy to help you – WelcomeCenter Heidekreis!

Bank account or current account

In Germany, everyone should have a current account to handle their financial affairs. You can freely choose your bank or savings bank. Every financial institution has different costs and offers. A comparison of several banks and savings banks in your area pays off. You will need your ID or passport to open an account.

You will receive a cashline card with your current account. It offers many practical possibilities in everyday life. For example, you can check your account balance, print account statements or top up your card with money at any time. You can easily pay with the card where you see the cashline card symbol.


After your registration in the Heidekreis you can still drive with your foreign driving licence for 6 months. You will then need a domestic driving licence. If necessary, examinations must still be taken or certain proof must be provided. The driving licence office will be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Holders of a valid driving licence from a member state of the European Union (EU) do not need a domestic driving licence, even if they live in Germany. However, an exchange is recommended for various reasons. You also have the option of obtaining a European driving licence. You can do this by contacting the Vehicle Registration and Driving Licence Office or by going to the European Commission’s website.

We are there for you

We are happy to assist you with any questions you may have when you arrive. Get in touch with us.